Fleet Selection – What Are The Options For LCCs?
Fleet selection is one of the most important elements of airline planning and influences not only the network but ultimately what can be provided to customers. For LCCs there are a variety of options to consider: only go with new aircraft (Peach), or exclusively very old aircraft (Jeju)? Lease or direct order from an airframer? What are the financial benefits of parent group purchasing (Jetstar Japan) versus independent action (Spring Japan uses 737s while Spring China is A320)? And decisions around aircraft type – operating not just widebodies but also larger narrowbodies (T’way 737-900ER)? What are some of the driving forces to consider regarding up-gauging: economics, new aircraft developments, slots or traffic rights? And finally, is there a role for dedicated airline leasing subsidiaries – such as Lion/Air Asia? This session will explore a range of fleet & finance issues relevant to LCCs.
Moderator: CAPA – Centre for Aviation, Senior Analyst, Will Horton
- Airbus, SVP Sales Japan, Jean-Pierre Stainnack
- BOC Aviation, Head of Strategy & Market Research, Peter Negline
- Boeing, Director of Marketing Japan, Yukio Kojima
- Cranfield University, Lecturer in Air Transport Economics, Dr Chikage Miyoshi
- Jeju Air, Head of Business Development & Fleet Planning, Hyuk Park