Retail On board: When Will Inflight Wifi Threaten Airport Sales?
Airport retail continues to expand, as airports become more adept at exposing their retailers. A global market which is worth anywhere from USD30-50 billion is highly attractive. Yet airlines have scarcely scratched the surface of this massive market. Now, as wifi spreads across aircraft where passengers can be ‘captive’ for 15 hours and more, the potential for tapping into the huge traveller spend suddenly blossoms. Add to that the growing sophistication of data analytics and the potential for selling to specific passenger targets lends an extraordinary dimension.
It does not need to be a zero sum game though; there is a lot of upside. The market for online sales is unlimited, even marketing houses!
- Could onboard wifi actually enhance airport retail sales and allow for even greater penetration
- How do airport retailers currently target and profile passengers?
Moderator: CAPA – Centre for Aviation, Executive Chairman, Peter Harbison
- ForwardKeys, CMO, Laurens van den Oever
- Market Square Consult, Managing Director, Johan Schölvinck
- SITAONAIR, Manager Strategy & Marketing, MEIA, Neale Faulkner